Title 17. Education
Chapter 2. Teachers and Employees
Part X. Leaves of Absence
Subpart A. Sabbatical Leaves
17:1171 Eligibility for sabbatical leaves
A. Members of the teaching staff of public schools in all parishes and municipalities of the state of Louisiana shall be eligible for sabbatical leaves, for the purpose of professional or cultural improvement or medical leave for the two semesters immediately following any twelve or more consecutive semesters of active service in the parish where the teacher is employed, or for the one semester immediately following any six or more consecutive semesters of service.
B. Active service accumulated toward sabbatical leave as provided in Subsection A of this Section shall not be deemed to be interrupted by any of the following:
(1) Absence on sick leave under Subpart B of this Part.
(2) Absence on maternity leave as provided under Subpart C of this Part, provided that such leave shall be for the period of disability occasioned by pregnancy or childbirth as determined by a certificate from the employee’s attending physician.
(3) Absence on involuntary military service in the armed forces of the United States.
(4) Absence on military leave under the provisions of R.S. 17:1215.
(5) Absence on adoptive leave pursuant to R.S. 17:1211(B).
C. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Section to the contrary, any city or parish school board, at the time it grants a leave of absence without pay under the provisions of R.S. 17:1186, may declare that all or certain of such leaves shall not be deemed to interrupt the accumulation of active service toward sabbatical leave.
Amended by Acts 1965, No. 106, § 1; Acts 1978, No. 385, § 1; Acts 1981, No. 295, § 1; Acts 1999, No. 1342, § 1; Acts 2003, No. 682, § 1; Acts 2018, No. 631, § 1.