TITLE 17. EDUCATION
CHAPTER 4. LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY AND AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL COLLEGE
PART II. DIVISIONS, BRANCHES AND DEPARTMENTS
SUBPART C-1. LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES CENTER--SHREVEPORT
17:1517 Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College Medical School at Shreveport; Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center at Shreveport; composition
A. Louisiana State University Hospital at Shreveport is hereby merged with the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center at Shreveport, Louisiana. Said health sciences center shall be maintained as a teaching institution and as an institution for the reception and medical and surgical treatment of the indigent and medically underserved in Louisiana.
B. The funds, property, obligations, and functions of the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center at Shreveport, including the Louisiana State University Hospital at Shreveport are hereby transferred to and vested in the Board of Supervisors of Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College which shall administer the affairs of the health sciences center herein provided.
C. The present membership of the Board of Directors of the Confederate Memorial Medical Center is hereby terminated and said board of directors abolished in its entirety and the powers and duties of the board and the direction and management of the Confederate Memorial Medical Center at Shreveport are hereby transferred to and vested in the Board of Supervisors of Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College.
D. The Board of Supervisors of Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College as a body corporate shall have authority to exercise all power to direct, control, supervise, and manage the Louisiana State University Hospital at Shreveport, including but not limited to the following:
(1) To order, establish, alter and put into execution all bylaws and ordinances which the board thinks best suited to the interests and better regulation of said hospital;
(2) To appoint the several persons the board finds necessary for the service of the hospital and to fix their compensation;
(3) At each meeting to appoint a committee who shall visit and inspect the hospital and who shall enforce the execution of the regulations of the board; and
(4) To deliver to the legislature, within the first ten days of each regular session:
(a) a copy of the descriptive list of each patient for the preceding year;
(b) a statement exhibiting the nature of the diseases attended to at the hospital for the preceding year, including the number of patients admitted, the number of persons dead, cured or discharged from the hospital for any other cause, the number of them born therein and the number remaining in the hospital; and
(c) a detailed statement of the receipts and expenditures of the preceding year and all such other information as the board may think proper.
E. The board of supervisors shall manage and administer the affairs of the hospital and may:
(1) Repair, improve, rent or lease its property, of whatever nature and kind, and enter into any kind or nature of contracts, for the best advantage of the institution;
(2) Accept, in behalf of the hospital, all donations and legacies, under any and all title whatsoever, which may be made by private or public instrument of writing by codicil, will, or in any other manner; provided that the title to any property, real or personal, purchased for the use of or donated to and accepted for the use of the hospital shall vest in and belong to the Board of Supervisors of Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College, for the sole and exclusive use and benefit of the Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College Medical School in Shreveport; or
(3) By vote of two-thirds of the members of the board, sell so much of the property as may be necessary to purchase, build or improve a hospital of dimensions and size adequate to the object of the institution.
F. This transfer and merger shall become effective on October 1, 1976.
Added by Acts 1976, No. 470, § 1. Amended by Acts 2001, No. 1032, § 6; Acts 2005, No. 145, § 1, eff. July 1, 2005.