TITLE 17. EDUCATION
CHAPTER 9. CAREER EDUCATION AND REHABILITATION
PART IV-C. SIMULATION MEDICAL TRAINING AND EDUCATION COUNCIL FOR LOUISIANA
17:2048.61 Simulation Medical Training and Education Council for Louisiana; creation; membership
A. The Louisiana Legislature recognizes that health care organizations take seriously their responsibility to deliver safe and competent care to patients and clients. Professions that have an inherent level of risk, such as the health care disciplines, are incorporating simulation as a means to improve both quality of care and patient safety through individual and team-based programs. Such programs can target learning new medical techniques, inter-professional teamwork, and preparedness for effective response to rare and crisis situations without real life consequences. Louisiana's health care students and practicing professionals statewide will benefit from greater access to simulation medical training, particularly those serving in rural areas. As a result, Louisiana's citizens benefit from better quality health care.
B. There is hereby created in the Department of Education, under the jurisdiction of the Board of Regents, the Simulation Medical Training and Education Council for Louisiana, hereafter referred to as "council". The council shall be placed under the Louisiana Health Works Commission and shall exercise and perform its powers, duties, functions, and responsibilities in the manner provided for agencies transferred in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 36:801.5.
C. The purpose of the council is to develop an infrastructure and governing process to coordinate and maximize simulation training resources and expertise, in both urban and rural areas of the state, and to enhance effective use of simulation training for students, faculty, and practitioners throughout the health professions statewide
D. The council shall be composed of the following members:
(1) The commissioner of higher education or his designee.
(2) The secretary of the Department of Health and Hospitals or his designee.
(3) The executive director of the Louisiana Workforce Commission or his designee.
(4) The state superintendent of education or his designee with expertise in career education.
(5) The chancellor of the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center at New Orleans or his designee.
(6) The chancellor of the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center at Shreveport or his designee.
(7) The president of the University of Louisiana System or his designee.
(8) The president of the Southern University System or his designee.
(9) The president of the Louisiana State University System or his designee.
(10) The president of the Louisiana Community and Technical College System or his designee.
(11) One member representing and appointed by the Louisiana Association of Independent Colleges and Universities.
(12) One member representing and appointed by the Louisiana Area Health Education Center Program.
(13) One member representing and appointed by the Louisiana Hospital Association.
(14) One member representing and appointed by the Louisiana Nursing Home Association.
(15) One member representing and appointed by the Louisiana Ambulance Alliance.
(16) One member representing and appointed by the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners.
(17) One member representing and appointed by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing.
(18) One member representing and appointed by the Louisiana State Board of Practical Nurse Examiners.
(19) One member of the House of Representatives, or his designee, appointed by the speaker of the House of Representatives.
(20) One member of the Senate, or his designee, appointed by the president of the Senate.
(21) The executive director of the Governor's Office of Elderly Affairs or his designee.
(22) The governor's policy advisor on health care.
(23) The dean of the Tulane School of Medicine or his designee.
(24) One member representing and appointed by the Louisiana Council of Administrators of Nursing Education.
E. Each member shall be appointed for a term of three years and may be reappointed for subsequent terms.
F. The Board of Regents shall provide the staff and facilities needed by the council to accomplish its tasks. Each group, organization, and agency shall submit the names of members to the Board of Regents.
G. Upon appointment of the members, the council shall elect by majority vote an individual to serve as chair of the council.
H. Members shall serve without compensation or reimbursement for travel.
I. No action shall be taken by the council except by a favorable vote of a majority of the members. An absent member's designee may cast a vote on behalf of the absent member.
J. Prior to March first of each year, the council shall submit a status report on the state of simulation medical training in Louisiana and the proposed plan for meeting the goals of the council to the Louisiana Health Works Commission, who shall submit the report to the governor, the speaker of the House of Representatives, the president of the Senate, and the chairs of the House and Senate health and welfare committees.
Added by Acts 2009, No. 421, § 1.