Title 17. Education
Chapter 24-a. Proprietary Schools
17:3140.2 Advisory Commission on Proprietary Schools; creation; membership; terms; rules and regulations
A. There is hereby established under the jurisdiction of the board the Advisory Commission on Proprietary Schools, comprised of nine members to be appointed as follows:
(1) One member by the commissioner of higher education.
(2) Two members by the board.
(3) Three members by the Louisiana Association of Private Colleges and Schools.
(4) One member by the Board of Supervisors of Community and Technical Colleges.
(5) One member by the State Association of Better Business Bureaus.
(6) One member by the Louisiana Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives.
B. (1) Each member shall serve for a four-year term and shall serve until his successor is appointed or qualified.
(2) Any vacancy occurring in the membership of the commission shall be filled in the manner of original appointment.
C. Members shall serve without compensation but shall be reimbursed for actual expenses incurred in attending meetings of the commission.
D. The commission shall elect annually from its membership a chairman and a vice chairman.
E. The commission shall be advisory in nature, but may have such powers and duties as set forth in this Chapter, subject to approval of and oversight by the board. The board may ratify, annul, or modify any decision, finding, recommendation, or order of the commission as it deems appropriate. Any action taken by the commission pursuant to the provisions of this Chapter shall not be effective until ratified by the board.
F. (1) The board shall adopt rules and regulations in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act as deemed necessary to administer the provisions of this Chapter and the functions of the commission. The rules and regulations shall be interpreted and implemented to promote high-quality instruction, consumer protection, and student success. The rules and regulations shall include but not be limited to:
(a) Establishing acceptable standards for the conduct of staff and for the operation of schools.
(b) Providing for investigation of complaints related to the established standards and for the disposition of complaints.
(c) Providing remedies including but not limited to restitution orders, fines, and other appropriate measures for violation of established standards.
(d) Providing for a student complaint procedure which shall be applicable to all licensed proprietary schools and include a mechanism for informing all students of the availability of the student complaint procedure.
(2) The board shall post the rules and regulations adopted pursuant to this Subsection on the board’s website.
G. The board shall provide for the monitoring of all proprietary schools to ensure that all advertising and representations made on behalf of a school to a prospective student are truthful and free from misrepresentation and fraud.
Added by Acts 2019, No. 437, § 1.