Title 17. Education
Chapter 26. Colleges and Universities
Part XII. Campus Accountability and Safety
17:3399.16 Safety education; recognition and reporting of potential threats to safety
A. The administration of each institution, in consultation with campus or local law enforcement agencies, shall develop and distribute information to students regarding power-based violence, campus safety, and internet and cell phone safety and online content that is a potential threat to school safety.
B. The information shall include the following:
(1) Instruction on how to identify and prevent power-based violence and how to detect potential threats to school safety exhibited online, including on any social media platform.
(2) How to report incidents of power-based violence, crimes on campus, violations of the student code of conduct, and possible threats to campus safety.
(3) Where to find reports regarding campus safety.
C. The information shall be distributed as part of new student orientation and shall be posted on an easily accessible page of each institution’s website.
D. The reporting process for possible threats to the campus shall, at a minimum, include:
(1) A standardized form to be used by students, faculty, and other personnel to report potential threats. The form shall request, at a minimum, the following information:
(a) Name of institution, person, or group being threatened.
(b) Name of student, individual, or group threatening violence.
(c) Date and time the threat was made.
(d) Method by which the threat was made, including the social media outlet or website where the threat was posted, a screenshot or recording of the threat, if available, and any printed evidence of the threat.
(2) A process for allowing anonymous reporting and for safeguarding the identity of a person who reports an incident of power-based violence or a safety threat.
E. Each institution shall adopt a policy to implement the provisions of this Part. The policy shall require that for every report of an incident of power-based violence or a safety threat received, the actions taken by the institution and the campus law enforcement agency or security officers be documented. The policies shall also provide for guidelines on referring the reports to the appropriate law enforcement agencies.
Acts 2021, No. 439, § 2 and Acts 2021, No. 472, § 2, eff. June 29, 2021.