Title 17. Education
Chapter 29. Louisiana Educational Employees Professional Improvement Program
Part I. General Provisions
As used in this Chapter, unless otherwise clearly indicated, these terms have the following meanings:
(1) “Department” means the Department of Education.
(2) “Lifetime certificate” means a teaching certificate issued by the department which is permanent and need not be renewed.
(3) “Plan” means an uncompleted professional improvement program.
(4) “Professional Improvement Points” sometimes herein referred to as “PIPS,” means units by which the effort and quality of improvement activities are measured.
(5) “Program” means a completed five-year professional improvement program, or refers to the subject of this Chapter.
(6) “Public school” means any public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school in this state.
(7) “Teacher” means any public school classroom teacher, librarian, school counselor, secondary vocational instructor, principal, assistant principal, or other personnel for whom a valid Louisiana teaching certificate is required for employment; any teacher in an institution which offers thirteenth and fourteenth grade instruction; any speech therapist who possesses a valid Louisiana ancillary certificate issued by the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education; and any instructor seeking to continue in the program who has been transferred from the Department of Public Safety and Corrections to vocational-technical schools under the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education.
(8) “Teaching certificate” means a certificate issued by the department to school personnel pursuant to the requirements fixed by the department or by law.
Added by Acts 1980, No. 207, § 1. Amended by Acts 1981, No. 617, § 1; Acts 1982, No. 433, § 1, eff. July 21, 1982; Acts 1984, No. 257, § 1, eff. July 13, 1984; Acts 1985, No. 713, § 1; Acts 2021, No. 275, § 4.