TITLE 17. EDUCATION
CHAPTER 35. LOUISIANA CONSTITUTIONAL EDUCATION FUNDS
PART I. LOUISIANA EDUCATION QUALITY TRUST FUND, HEREINAFTER ALSO KNOWN AS THE "KEVIN P. REILLY, SR. LOUISIANA EDUCATION QUALITY TRUST FUND"
17:3804 Legislative oversight
A. The Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget and the Joint Legislative Committee on Education, each referred to as the "education funds committee" in R.S. 17:3802 through 3804, shall have oversight authority as provided in this Section.
B. The purpose of the education funds committee is to oversee the operation of the Kevin P. Reilly, Sr. Louisiana Education Quality Trust Fund, and the Louisiana Quality Education Support Fund. The education funds committee may recommend revisions in the program and budget of either board. The education funds committee shall forward its recommendations to the appropriate board.
C. The education funds committee shall:
(1) Meet, upon call of the chair, as often as necessary but not less often than twice a year. A meeting shall occur before the beginning of each regular session but after receipt of the proposed programs and budgets as required by the constitution. A meeting shall also occur during the year at an appropriate time to examine the quality of the programs to which trust fund monies were appropriated and allocated.
(2) Hold hearings on and review the proposed program and budget, including administrative costs, of the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education and the Board of Regents.
(3) Examine and report on the quality and efficacy of any expenditures made from the support fund designed to improve education.
D. The education funds committee may:
(1) Review the policies and procedures used by the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education and the Board of Regents to award and allocate monies from the support fund.
(2) Adopt such rules and regulations with regard to its own functions and procedures as are consistent with the efficient conduct of its duties.
(3) Incur such expenses as are necessary for carrying out its duties and responsibilities in accordance with procedures established by the rules of the respective houses.
(4) Review program evaluations conducted by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education and the Board of Regents and fiscal audits conducted by the Legislative Auditor.
Added by Acts 1989, No. 675, § 1, eff. July 1, 1989. Amended by Acts 2013, No. 56, § 1, eff. May 29, 2013.