Title 17. Education
Chapter 39. The Children First Act
Part II. Professional Employee Quality Development
Subpart A. General Provisions
For the purposes of this Part, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) “Board” means the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education.
(2) “Components of effective teaching” means the elements of teaching performance defined by the board, in formal, recognized collaboration with educators and other stakeholders involved in education, to be critical to providing effective classroom instruction. As used in the evaluation programs, the term includes any elements of the components being rated.
(3) “Department” means the state Department of Education.
(4) “Economic disadvantage” means any one of the following characteristics of a student:
(a) Is eligible for Louisiana’s food assistance program for low-income families.
(b) Is eligible for Louisiana’s disaster food assistance program.
(c) Is eligible for Louisiana’s program for assistance to needy families with children to assist parents in becoming self-sufficient.
(d) Is eligible for Louisiana’s healthcare program for families and individuals with limited financial resources.
(e) Is eligible for reduced price meals based on the latest available data.
(f) Is an English Language Learner.
(g) Is identified as homeless or migrant pursuant to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Children and Youth Assistance Act and the Migrant Education Program within the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.
(h) Is incarcerated with the office of juvenile justice or in an adult facility.
(i) Has been placed into the custody of the state.
(5) “Evaluation” means the process by which a local board monitors the continuing performance of its teachers and administrators.
(6) “Local board” means a city, parish, or other local public school board.
(7) “Performance expectations” means the elements of effective leadership approved by the board that shall be included as evaluation criteria for all building-level administrators.
(8) “Teacher” or “Administrator” means any person whose employment requires professional certification issued under the rules of the board.
Acts 1994, 3rd Ex.Sess., No. 1, § 2, eff. June 22, 1994. Amended by Acts 1995, No. 60, § 1, eff. June 12, 1995; Acts 1997, No. 838, § 1, eff. Aug. 1, 1998; Acts 2010, No. 54, § 1, eff. May 27, 2010; Acts 2017, No. 136, § 1.