Title 17. Education
Chapter 43. School Choice Scholarships
Part I. Student Scholarships for Educational Excellence Program
As used in this Part, unless otherwise clearly indicated, the following terms mean:
(1) “Department” means the state Department of Education.
(2) “Eligible student” means a student who resides in Louisiana, is a member of a family with a total income that does not exceed two hundred fifty percent of the current federal poverty guidelines as established by the federal office of management and budget, and who meets any one of the following criteria:
(a) Is entering kindergarten and has enrolled in the local school system in which the public school he would have otherwise attended is located or in a school under the jurisdiction of the Recovery School District. Each local school system or the Recovery School District shall conduct its annual kindergarten enrollment process and shall report such enrollment to the department prior to the program enrollment process.
(b) Was enrolled in a public school in Louisiana on October first and on February first of the most recent school year pursuant to the definition of student membership established by the state board for purposes of the minimum foundation program formula, and such school received a letter grade of “C”, “D”, or “F” or any variation thereof, for the most recent year pursuant to the school and district accountability system.
(c) Received a scholarship pursuant to this Part in the previous school year.
(3) “Participating school” means a nonpublic school that meets program requirements and seeks to enroll scholarship recipients or a public school that meets program requirements and seeks to enroll scholarship recipients subject to any court-ordered desegregation plan in effect for the school system in which the public school is located.
(4) “Program” means the Student Scholarships for Educational Excellence Program.
(5) “Scholarship” means the funds awarded to a parent or other legal guardian on behalf of an eligible student to attend a participating public or nonpublic school.
(6) “Scholarship recipient” means an eligible student who is awarded a scholarship.
Added by Acts 2008, No. 509, § 1, eff. June 25, 2008. Amended by Acts 2011, 1st Ex.Sess., No. 41, § 1; Acts 2012, No. 2, § 1; Acts 2019, No. 21, § 1.