TITLE 51. TRADE AND COMMERCE
CHAPTER 7. MUNICIPAL AND PARISH INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT BOARDS
Whenever used in this Chapter, unless a different meaning clearly appears in the context, the following terms, whether used in the singular or plural, shall be given the following respective interpretations:
(1) "Corporation" means any corporation organized pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
(2) "Municipality" and "parish" mean any incorporated city or town, or any parish, in this state with respect to which a corporation may be organized and in which it is contemplated the corporation will function.
(3) "Anti-pollution project" means any land, easement, servitude, leasehold interest or other interest or right or estate in land, any building or other facility or improvement thereon, and any personal property, or any combination of the foregoing, whether or not now in existence, which shall be designed, acquired, constructed or installed in order to abate, eliminate, control or prevent air or water or noise or other pollution or to control or eliminate or dispose of liquid and solid wastes, or for the removal or treatment of any substance or materials which otherwise would cause pollution or contamination of any kind, suitable for use by the following or any combination of two or more thereof: any industry for the manufacturing, processing or assembling of raw, semi-manufactured or manufactured products, including agricultural, fish, forest, water or mineral products; any enterprise for the planting, cultivating and harvesting of crops, including those so planted, cultivated and harvested for food, ornamental, grazing or forest purposes; any commercial enterprise in storing, warehousing or distributing the products of agriculture, fishing, forestry, mining or industry, exclusive of retail or wholesale enterprises; any enterprise for research or development or research and development in connection with any of the foregoing, or for the purpose of developing new products or new processes, or improving existing products or known processes; any enterprise for research, development, exploration or study, of land, sea, water, air, sky or space; any nonprofit educational institution, museum or planetarium or the government of the United States or any agency, department, board, bureau, corporation or other instrumentality thereof; and any person, firm or corporation engaged primarily in the manufacture, production, generation, transmission or distribution of electricity, steam heat, water or gas or any combination thereof, or telephone or other services for sale to the public and classified as a public utility.
(4)(a) "Development project" means any land, easement, servitude, leasehold interest, or other interest or right in land, and any building or other facility or improvement thereon, including a single or multiple occupant office building or building complex, and all movable and immovable properties deemed necessary in connection therewith, including parking garages, whether or not now in existence, which shall be suitable for use by the following or by any combination of two or more thereof:
(i) Any industry for the manufacturing, processing, or assembling of any raw, agricultural, semimanufactured, or manufactured products.
(ii) Any commercial enterprise in storing, warehousing, distributing, or selling any products of agriculture, fishing, forestry, mining, or industry.
(iii) Business or professional offices.
(v) Any international, national, regional, or state offices of business or industry.
(b) "Development project" also means any other facility that is determined by an industrial development board to be instrumental to the removal of blight or the redevelopment of distressed areas, or to promote economic development through the creation of jobs, or to enhance the tax base of a community through the construction, renovation, or rehabilitation of improvements, but does not include facilities designed for the sale or distribution to the public of electricity, gas, water, or telephone or other services commonly classified as public utilities.
(c) However, the Industrial Development Board of Lincoln Parish, Incorporated, may acquire, own, operate, construct, lease, and sell a water and sewerage system.
(5) "Governing body" means the board or body in which the general legislative powers of the municipality or the parish are vested.
(6) "Project" means any anti-pollution project or any development project or any combination thereof.
Added by Acts 1962, No. 436, § 1. Amended by Acts 1964, No. 433, § 1; Acts 1972, No. 103, § 1, emerg. eff. June 25, 1972, at 6:15 P.M.; Acts 1978, No. 198, § 1; Acts 1979, No. 371, § 1; Acts 1989, No. 96, § 1; Acts 1997, No. 171, § 1, eff. June 13, 1997; Acts 1997, No. 1161, § 1, July 1, 1997.